My PS3 has always run smoothly during its life and I’ve never had any problems with it, Until now.
Last night while playing GT5 My PS3 kept freezing approx 2 mins into a race. It was during a Seasonal Event race. I later tried doing a normal single player race and the same problem occurred, I also tried a Bspec race and whadda ya know, same freeze result.
I tried different cars, set-ups and tracks and it still froze. I thought it was maybe the game as it did not freeze while playing any other games so this got me thinking it was the last GT5 update or the game itself. I cleaned a single finger print from the disc but that didn’t work.
Today I woke up hoping it would just work fine but I got the same result. It was then I thought about rebuilding my PS3’s database and it worked.
So if you have a problem with a game that keeps freezing your PS3 I recommend you try this.
(the information below is taken from the PS Community Blog [Source] )
Activating Safe Mode
Step 1: Turn off the PLAYSTATION 3 by holding the Power button on the front of the unit till the Power light is red.
- Touch and hold the Power button, you will hear the first beep, meaning the PLAYSTATION 3 is powering on.
- Continue to hold the Power button and after about 5 seconds, you will hear a second beep, indicating the video reset.
- Continue to hold the Power button and after about another 5 seconds you will hear a third beep and the system will power off (Power light is red).
- Touch and hold the Power button, you will hear the first beep, again for the PLAYSTATION 3 to power on.
- Continue to hold the Power button and after about 5 seconds, you will hear a second beep for video reset.
- Continue to hold the Power button and after about another 5 seconds you will hear a quick double beep. At that point release the Power button. If you succeeded in activating Safe Mode, you will see a message on the screen saying, “Connect the controller using a USB cable and then press the PS button.”
- Connect a USB cable to the controller and the PLAYSTATION 3 and press the PS button to enter Safe Mode.
- Then you will see the Safe Mode menu.
Step 4: Select Rebuild Database and follow the instructions and whatever you do, DO NOT turn off your PS3 while its rebuilding the database.